Best 7 Places to See Autumn Leaves in Ishikawa
In Autumn, trees such as Maples and ginkgo turn to yellow and red color, which is absolutely beautiful and people enjoy the color every year in Japan. In Ishikawa, there are several great places to see autumn leaves including famous Kenrokuen garden. In this article, I will introduce 7 beautiful places for watching autumn leaves in Ishikawa.
- 1 When is Autumn in Kanazawa ?
- 2 Where is the best place to see Autumn Leaves in Kanazawa ?
- 3 Kaga and Komatsu area
- 4 Hakusan area
- 5 Conclusion
When is Autumn in Kanazawa ?
Autumn comes Ishikawa in beginning of September to early December every year. The weather is changeable so the temperature is significantly fluctuated, which actually make leaves beautiful vivid color.
Where is the best place to see Autumn Leaves in Kanazawa ?
There is no doubt that Kenrokuen Garden is the most popular place to see autumn leaves in Kanazawa. In autumn you can see autumn color, which are mainly provided by the cherry and maple trees and usually change colors from around mid November to early December. The annual light up event is held around 20th November, which is free entry and you can see gorgeous illuminated Fall leaves. Gyokusen-en Garden is also known as a beautiful place to see autumn colors. Visitors can enjoy a powdered green tea with Japanese confections and experience a Japanese traditional tea ceremony in Kanazawa’s oldest teahouse. (*subject to reservation)
- 【Name】Kenrokuen Garden
- 【Address】 1-4 Kenroku machi, Kanazawa, Ishikawa
- 【Access】Bus： Kanazawa station →Kenroku-en (Katsurazaka entrance or Mayumizaka entrance or Kodatsuno entrance)
- 【Open】7:00～18:00（Mar – Oct 15）／8:00～17:00（Oct 16 – Feb）＊Shigureteiは9:00～16:30 （Last call 16:00）
- 【Close】 Open 365 days a year ※Shiguretei will be closed during Dec 29 – Jan 3
- 【TEL】 076-234-3800
- 【Admission fee】 Adult (over 18 year-old) 310 yen / Child (6-18 year-old) 100 yen / Senior (over 65 year-old) Free
- 【Parking area】Coin parkings are around the park
- 【Best season】 End of November to Early December
②American Maple Street (America Kaede Dori Street)
American Maple Street, which is lined with maple trees located between Shiinoki Cultural Complex and Ishikawa Shiko Memorial Cultural Exchange Centre is hidden place to see autumn leaves. This beautiful short path attracts many people to see autumn colors and take photos.
- 【Name】American Maple Street (America Kaede Dori Street)
- 【Address】 Hirosaka, Kanazawa, Ishikawa (Google Map 36.562943)
- 【Access】Walk 2 min from Hirosaka, 21st century museum or take Flat bus no.8 or no.1
- 【Parking area】Shiinoki cultual complex and 21st century museum
- 【Best season】End of November to Early December
③Taiyougaoka Metasequoia Namiki Street
This street is lined with metasequoia trees and you can see gorgeous colors in Autumn. Moreover, it is illuminated by blue and white lights in Winter.
- 【Name】 Taiyougaoka Metasequoia Namiki Street
- 【Address】 Taiyougaoka, Kanazawa, Ishikawa
- 【Access】Bus： Take no.95 or no. 13 at Kanazawa station then get off at Taiyougaoka new town. (Single ticket 380 yen, 30 min drive)
- 【Best season】November 2nd – 4th
Kaga and Komatsu area
④ Aramata Gorge (Aramatakyou)
Aramata Gorge is selected top 8 scenic places in Ishikawa. There is a 400m short walking path in the gorge, which you can enjoy the view of amazing view of Aramata gorge and it takes about 10 minutes. This gorge is in the middle of Otani rever so it may sometimes a little bit dark in the gorge if the weather is not good. However, you can take fresh air and enjoy beautiful landscape in this hidden place.
- 【Name】 Aramata gorge (Aramatakyou)
- 【Address】Akasemachi, Komatsu, Ishikawa
- 【Access】Bus: Take Komatsu bus Osugi line at JR Komatsu station then get off at Aramatakyou (40 min)
- 【TEL】 0761-46-1919
- 【Admission fee】 Free
- 【Best season】 November 2nd – 4th
⑤Nata-dera Temple Top 100 Autumn Leaves in Japan
Nata-dera Temple is selected top 8 scenic places in Ishikawa and also Michelin Green Guide Japan as 1 star. Moreover, it is always got high positive reviews on TripAdvisor. The temple was built in A.D.717 by priest Taicho. The incense burning pavilion, 3-story pagoda, the bell tower, the study room and rebuilt the main shrine, which was designated as one of the important cultural asset of Ishikawa Prefecture.
- 【Name】Nata-dera Temple
- 【Address】 Yu122 Nata machi, Komatsu, Ishikawa 9230336
- 【Access】Served by hourly Can Buses, which take about 25 min to reach the temple from Kaga Onsen Station.
- 【Open】8:30～16:45 (Mar – Nov) / 8:45～16:30 (Dec – Feb）
- 【Close】Open 365 days a year
- 【TEL】 0761-65-2111
- 【Admission fee】 Adult: (Over 14 year-old) 600 yen / Child: 300 yen / Infant: free ※Special exhibision: 200 yen
- 【Parking area】free
- 【Best season】November
⑥Kakusenkei Gorge（Kakusenkei Park）
Kakusenkei gorge was highly acclaimed by famous Japanese poet Basho Matsuo, where is quite near to Kaga-onsen village. There is a walking pass in this park from popular autumn leaves spot Korogi bridge to astonished view point Kurotani bridge which is 1.3km distance. In Autumn season, local people perform folklore music in Yamanakaza every Sunday in Kaga-onsen Village.
- 【Name】 Kakusenkei Gorge
- 【Address】 1 Higashi machi-Korogi machi, Yamanaka onsen, Kaga, Ishikawa
- 【Access】Take the Kaga Onsen Bus bound for Yamanaka Onsen at the JR Kaga Onsen Station and get off at Yamanaka Onsen bus stop (30 min)
- 【TEL】 0761-78-0330
- 【Best season】November 2nd – 4th
⑦Hakusan Shirakawa-go White Road Top 100 Autumn Leaves in Japan
Hakusan Shirakawa-go White Road, formerly Hakusan Super Rindo is a mountain toll road which connects Hakusan city in Ishikawa with the world heritage site Shirakawa-go in Gifu. The well maintained, 33.3 kilometer long road rises to over 1400 meters above sea level. Autumn leaves season starts from around 20th October in altitude over 1000m, which is the earliest place we can see the leaves in Ishikawa. Along the road, people can enjoy breathtaking views, hiking trails and a variety of awesome waterfalls.
- 【Name】Hakusan Shirakawa-go White Road (ex: Hakusan Super Rindo Forest Road)
- 【Address】920-2324 O9-21, Chugu, Hakusan, Ishikawa
- 【Access】Approximately 80 minutes by car from the ” Komatsu IC” Hokuriku highway.
- 【In-service period】 Early June – Nov 10th (subject to change)
- 【Open】〔Jun – Aug〕7:00～18:00 (close 19:00) 〔Sep – Nov〕8:00～17:00 (Close 18:00)
- 【TEL】 076-256-7341（Ishikawa）05769-6-1664（Gifu）
- 【Fare】Single fare: Light vehicle 1400 yen / Regular vehicle 1600 yen Motor-bikes are not permitted to drive.
- 【Driving hours】1 hour（ 33.3km）
- 【Best season】 End of September – Early November
- If you stay at accommodations in Kaga onsen village, the single fare will be free. More information, ask the accommodation where you stay please.
How was the article? I introduced the 7 best autumn leaves places in Ishikawa. I would appreciate if you go there and leave comments what you thought below. I am also updating the exactly time of watching Autumn leaves when I find it.
Thanks for reading ♥